Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"They're Rioting In Africa, South Texas Needs Rain"

      50 Years ago that was a great folk song by the Kingston Trio that helped inspire me towards
a 5 year career with Spokane's "Castaways". My sister dated one of the Kingston Trio
(once!) and Mark Pearson of the "Castaways" is still playing today with "The Brothers Four"
from Seattle. It's amazing how some things survive for what seems like forever amid such
change. But, I digress..... REVOLUTIONS ARE UNDERWAY EVERYWHERE!

       Even the "Heartland" has discovered the power of people to petition their rulers!  The
Arab Revolution continues to confound our fearless leaders. Yemen, Oman, Kuwait,
Egypt, Libya, Bahrain, Somalia, Iraq all seem ready to toss the rascals out.

      "Hill" was on the Hill yesterday testifying before congress. I didn't see it (had a great nap
anyway though!) but the news summary was pretty funny. I counted 7 attempts at getting her
to answer whether we would support a no fly zone in Libya. After she dodged all seven
my conclusion was that what she was trying to say was: "I'd love to tell you the answer but
Obama can't make up his mind!" Adding to the comedy was the CNN coverage of Kadafi's
18 hour tease in the Tripoli hotel. Blurry pictures all day of the front door and reporters running
back and forth in the lobby breathlessly and in many languages... waiting for the arrival.

When the actual speech came out at 11pm our time CNN's Anderson Cooper told us they couldn't get a decent translation of what the hell he was saying.... but stay tuned! (I don't think anyone did.)

          I don't know how Obama is going to come out of this amazing Arab Revolution but
it is beginning to look to me like a classic Peter Sellers movie. I can imagine President Obama
calling in Peter Sellers to take over after his Secy of Defense goes mad and his Secy of State
commits suicide over his dithering. "Inspector Clouseau" manages to bumble his way into
the revolution and accidentally win it for the people! Maybe Leslie Nielson as the new Sec-Def
who walks into the job on the day Egypt explodes. Christianne Amanpurr could play herself.
Oh... I forgot.. all the great comics are dead!

lilGWB

  

No comments:

Post a Comment